International Case Book (1964)
A dismembered body with no identification.
JAPAN: The most astounding bank
robbery in the history of crime.
INDIA: Murder by curse.
The beautiful woman
who swindled a whole town...
And 16 more tales of mystery and detection, each of them unique and challenging to the
- SOUTHERN SPAIN: The Beautiful Lady of El Puerto
as "The Fatal Tattoo")
- JAPAN: Tokyo's Greatest Bank Robbery
(06/27/54 as "Mad Murderer
- NORMANDY: Inspector Fosse's Last Case
as "The Gravedigger's Secret)
- ARGENTINA: The Butcher of Buenos Aires
Clue of the Missing Hands").
RUMANIA: The Swindler of Adamolis
(06/13/54 as "The Adamolis
- ALGERIA: The Strangled Bride of Oran
"The Strangled Bride")
- MEXICO: The Jaws of Death
"The Claws of the Hawk")
INDIA: The Curse of Kali (07/18/54)
YUGOSLAVIA: Crime Wave, Balkan Style
"No Name on the Search Warrant")
ECUADOR: The Mysterious Shooting at the Nacional
"Masquerade for Murder")
PARIS: The Young Man Who Lost His Eyes
as "The Acid Test")
- THE PHILIPPINES: Death in Manila
(05/23/54 as "The Clue of the
- WESTERN AUSTRALIA: Death Among the Aborigines
as "Murder Down Under")
CZECHOSLOVAKIA: The Curious Case of the Flirt
(08/01/54 as "The
Girl Who Flirted with Death")
- MONTE CARLO: The Crime of the Croupier
MOROCCO: African Love Story
(09/26/54 as "Murder at
- TURKEY: Secrets of the Harem
as "Death in the Harem")
CHINA: The Shanghai Shootings
"The Clue of the Passionate Poem")
MADRID: The Red Virgin
as "The Red Maiden of Madrid)
- JERUSALEM: Passion in the Holy Land
"Dead in the Garden")
All short stories were originally published in The American Weekly during 1954 and
1955. The stories are framed so that Ellery appears to be asking others about
"true" situations in their countries as he travels around.One of the two true
crime books Lee wrote credited to Ellery Queen from material gathered by
researchers. 'The Woman in the Case'
(1966) being the other.